With the old name Xiangshan, Zhongshan is famous for its ¡°abundant flowers and immortalities¡±. The ancient Xiangshan is an island hanging lonely over Lingdingyang outside the mouth of the Pearl River. Early in the mid and late Neolithic Age about 5,000 years ago, the aboriginal ancient Yue residents fished and inhabited in Xiangshan Island. Till now, the number of the discovered ancient sites in the mid and late Neolithic Age has reached over 13.
Xiangshan County was set up in the 22nd year of Shaoxing in the Southern Song Dynasty (1152). Inclusive of 4 counties¡ªNanhai, Fanyu, Dongguan, Xinhui, part of Hainan Island, and Macao, Xiangshan county was subordinate to Guangzhou. The county lied in the east (around the west section of the Central Sunwen Road, North Minsheng Road and Gongchen Road) of Shiqi Mountain (called Yandun Mountain presently). Till Ming Dynasty, cultural education became prosperous: Renshan Academy of Classical Learning, Saint Confucius Temple, Fufengwen Tower were built at that time. In the late Qing Dynasty and early Republic of China, with Guangzhou, Hong Kong, Macao, Jiangmen and other cities open to trade, the economy and culture of Shiqi developed very quickly. In 1925, Dr. Sun Yat-sen deceased, and Xiangshan County was renamed as Zhongshan County. In 1983, Zhongshan County was withdrawn and Zhongshan City was built.Go Back